"BIG FOOT 32"
I had flooded the additional lights whilst an off-road tour in 2005 (please
refer as well to Saverne-page picture 16
I now wanted to create a permanent solution.
I got hold of some fog-lights from former GDR-Army trucks ( … not everything
was bad in those days! …), but the problem how to fix it remained. Underneath
the bumper was never a good solution because of the risk of getting damaged
whilst being off-road and minimizing the ramp angle. And mounting inside the
bumper seemed to be nearly impossible because parts of the chassis were in the
way. Finally I tried it and made a small cut with the Dremel drill. It wasn’t
an easy job for the small machine by 3 mm steel thickness and a radius of 40
cm. But it was the only option for a fine cut – I needed to be able to re-weld
the part if the proposed location would not fit!
first fitting-test showed positive results but some modifications were still
edge of the cut was covered with an edging strip.
the original fitting only a pan and tilt was achievable. The previous ones had a
full 3-D adjustment facility because of a bowl-kind fixture. So I removed the
fixing from the old fog lights, gave them a round shape on the rear to fit to
the bowl of the housing and then fixed it. On the right housing the tube for the
cable was in conflict with the chassis frame. So here I needed to replace it to
the other side. The old one was closed with a big screw and seal.
the right side was finished I started with the left, which now went much
quicker. The bumpers were de-rusted, sanded and sprayed in dull-black. On the
picture you see the „new“ rear side and the cabling through a hose to the
reflectors rear side. Because the hose is put up at the front no more water can
shock came when I tried to fix the left bumper! A big, solid collection of
cabling was exactly located behind the hole. So this needed to be relocated to
be out of the way and now enough space is available for the housing (here still
the original position),
the headlights were moved up to be out of reach of water and the risk of getting
damaged. So another grinding-action was necessary. The first fitting test was
photo shows the final look of the front grill. A metal strip was applied to the
one end of the grill stripes, plus an edging strip and of course everything
shows the metal fixings for the front lights welded to the front-plate.
Furthermore it shows the "cabling in the hose" for the fog-lights.
the left head-light was now located directly in front of the filling-station for
the start-support fluid. So this needed to be moved more to teh left which
required a prolongation of the hoses. (Left arrow = original position // Right
arrow = future position // arrow from bottom = filling station for start-support
this is how the new front is looking like now!